Monday, October 21, 2013

Declan Matthew Peck

We have a new member in our family! Declan was born October 17th, 2013 at 12:51 pm. At 8 lbs. 7 oz. and 22" long, he was a healthy happy baby.

At first, Rachel didn't think she was going into labor, since her due date wasn't until October 29th. We had originally calculated it to be on the 15th, but apparently neither of us were right...it was the 17th! So Rachel's contractions started at about 3:30 in the morning and they were regular and strong enough that she wasn't able to go back to sleep. Once I woke up at the usual time for work we started timing her contractions. Turns out, despite Rachel thinking they weren't regular enough, they warranted a call to Jennifer, her midwife, who came out to check. 

I took off for work, knowing there was nothing immediate that was going to happen that I'd miss by leaving right then. Shortly after I started loading drivers, I got a call saying that the baby was definitely coming today! The challenge was in me now getting back home; my assistant Floyd was on vacation that week and so I had to stay - no one else could watch the place. In despiration, I called Floyd to see if he would be willing to come in during his vacation to cover while I left to be with Rachel during the delivery.

An hour later he was there, and I was on my way home. Once I arrived, my first assignment was to leave - to take Annalyn over to Britney Lewis, one of Rachel's friends. Understandably, we needed her away so as to not be a possible distraction when Rachel needs to focus.

She progressed very well during labor. It was only an hour after transition started that he arrived, and pushing was only 20 minutes of that! He was making his first sounds right away, and surprised the midwives with how healthy and responsive he was.  It was a beautiful experience; I would not have missed it for anything. Rachel loved having him at home! So much so, that she wants the rest of out kids born at home. She really liked being able to look around and see familiar things, especially photos of family.

Mom and baby are still doing great. Everyone's healthy and happy, and Declan continues to put on weight. And now, we just need to adjust to living off very little sleep...

1 comment: